Saturday 14 December 2013

Finally Finished!

Today is the first day since I started high school in September of 2007 that I have nothing to do.
And I mean nothing to do.

Since I started high school there was aways an assignment to do or a book to read. In the summers off of high school I worked or was auditioning for university. After I graduated from high school in 2011 I got a second job and worked from 11am-2am almost every day!

In January of 2012 I started college at Metalworks Institute. And since then, almost every day (including summers) I was in school. There was always a song to rehearse, a musical instrument sound or range to memorize, and an era to study. Half of 2012 I still had the two jobs. And come the end of 2013 I had two jobs again.

Since January I've taken classes on singing, sight reading, culture and history, acoustics, MIDI, computer software composing, theory and composing, studio techniques, ear training, business, songwriting, music production, percussion, audio post production, and ensemble band.

I started out with 18 people, and lost 4 along the way. I wish them the best with their future endeavours whether they be music related or not. To the 13 others who stuck through this with me, some are like myself and aren't graduating but we finished the program and became such a close group of friends, and we are there to support each other.

On the topic of me not graduating, I'm okay with this. I went to the school to learn, and I learned more than I could imagine. I will take that and roll with it. I don't regret the last 2 years either.

Last night after our final performance, I was driving back into Burlington and I felt a strange feeling of weightlessness. I don't have anything weighing down on me anymore. The constant feeling of "of shit there's something I need to do".

Today I got to lazily get out of bed. I've worn my onesie all day. I had a hot chocolate and wrapped presents. Made a Caesar and some cheesy nachos and then had dinner with my brother, mom and step dad which is a rare occasion when we all eat together.

I just finished watching Mulan and I'm feeling really good that today I got to do nothing. Sometimes doing nothing is exactly what you need.



No comments:

Post a Comment